When the children go back to school, the animals
on the farm have nothing to do. That is...
until they discover the library. But when Cow,
Pig, Horse, and Goat try to check out a book,
they are met with a very puzzled librarian.
Why can't she understand?
Book! Book! Book!
by Deborah Bruss
Illustrated by Tiphanie Beeke
Age Range: 1- 8 years
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books/Scholastic, 2001
Presently, the only way to purchase this book is through the Scholastic School and Book Fair Programs.
Perfect for toddlers ~They love the animal sounds.
Perfect for older kids ~ They get the humor and puns.
Perfect for teachers ~ Students can act out the parts.
Perfect for librarians ~ A fun introduction.
Awards & Recognitions
- Los Angeles' 100 Best Books for 2001.
- First Lady Laura Bush read Book! Book! Book! on the CBS Early Show on to inaugurate an Early Readers Club to promote children's literacy. - June 25, 2003
- "From the Precincts," Chicago Tribune. May 21, 2001. #3 out of 5 for what Chicago area readers are buying.
- July & August 2001, Book Sense 76. Ranked #1 Children's Book by the Independent Bookseller Recommendations.
- “A Monitor Roundup of Children’s Books.” The Christian Science Monitor. June 14, 2001.
When the children leave the farm to go back to school, the bored barnyard animals head to the library in search of something to do. But their language ("Neigh! Neigh!" and "Moo! Moo!") is only so much noise for the kindly but confused librarian—until a determined hen flaps in .... Ages 2-6. (PublishersWeekly.com May 2001)
...The playful, splashy pictures in watercolor and acrylic show the library as a busy, exciting place, where the goat gets absorbed in story hour, and the bullfrog is cozy on the bookshelves. In fact, in a running gag, the pictures show that the bullfrog has been at home with books from the beginning. -Hazel Rochman Copyright © American Library Association.
Book! Book! Book! Is a favorite that my students ask me to read again and again. -Elementary School Librarian
- Short-listed for California Young Reader Medal (Primary) 2004
- Short-listed for Young Hoosier Book Award (Picture Book) 2004
- Short-listed for South Carolina Children's Junior and Young Adult Book Award (Picture Book) 2005
- Short-listed for Monarch Award 2006
- Short-listed for Black-Eyed Susan Award (Picture Book) 2002